Sunday, December 2, 2007

Christmas with the Crabs

Sitting on the sofa
scratching this crotch
listening to talk radio
with a firm belief
that Jesus will save him.
The kids know well
that Father is piss poor.
He is in shambles.
Working hard
to hardly work
and Christmas really won't come
this year.
Little Bobby
opens his package
and finds a gun.
"This was your Grandfather's
and he killed himself with it
and someday you will too.
I've tried too many times
and like always
I've failed.
I gave your brother the rounds
and together you can play.
Go make Father proud.
Tell your Grandfather I'm sorry."

5 comments:

S. Noel said...

sad, but good! i like it.

Toadie said...

Nothing like that Christmas spirit!

Franco said...

The section of dialogue at the end is goddamn beautiful. You should read more James Tate.

Toadie said...

Thanks man, I'm glad you dig it! I've never read James Tate but now that you mention him, I'm gonna pick something up.

Franco said...

Buy the book "Return to the City of White Donkeys." It is goddamn amazing.